Vistas de página en total

jueves, 25 de noviembre de 2010

Bookaholic: WUTHERING HEIGHTS by Emily Bronte

Wutherings Heights is known in Spanish as "Cumbres Borrascosas" and was written by Emily Bronte, sister to Charlotte Bronte (who wrote "Jane Eyre") and Anne Bronte (who wrote "Agnes Grey"). The story behind the book is one full of romanticism and despair among two lovers who, despite the fact that they're head over heels in love with each other, can't make it because life has been different for both; one chose a life brim with wealth and the other remained poor as he first was. The one who chose to become rich is Cathy, a character stricken by hatred, jealousy and madness who , although she is not in love with her present husband, decides to stay with him. Here's an excerpt from Chapter 15, where Heathcliff decides to send her lover a letter in order to get together.

Chapter 15
"Are you possessed with a devil,' he pursued, savagely, 'to talk in that manner to me when you're dying? Do you reflect that all those words will be branded in my memory, and eating deeper eternally after you have left me? You know you lie to say i have killed you: and, Catherine, you know that I could as soon forget you as my existence! Is it not sufficient for your infernal selfishness, that while you are at peace I shall writhe in the torments of hell?

"I shall not be at peace,' moaned Catherine, recalled to a sense of physical weakness by the violent, unequal throbbing of her heart, which beat visibly and audibly under this excess of agitation. She said nothing further till the paroxysm was over; then she continued, more kindly - 'I am not whishing you greater torment than I have, Heathcliff. I only wish us never to be parted: and should a word of mine distress you hereafter, think I feel the same distress underground, and for my own sake, forgive me! Come here and kneel down again! You never harmed me in your life."

(Some words may be difficult to understand because of the English of that period)

To be head over heels in love with = estar locamente enamorado
wealth = riqueza
hatred = odio
jealousy = celos
selfishness = egoísmo
to part = separarse
to distress = agobiar
underground = bajo tierra
for my own sake = por mi bien
to harm = dañar

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario